DataCite is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable research landscape, dedicated to enhancing accessibility and empowering underrepresented regions to fully leverage and benefit from our open infrastructure. In February 2023, we launched a Global Access Program (GAP) with support from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. The program has taken a comprehensive approach to partner with regional communities through outreach, infrastructure and funding activities.
To further our commitment, we are expanding our engagement with regional communities. We are excited to announce the launch of the DataCite Ambassador Program. This initiative creates a network of dedicated volunteers that raise awareness, increase adoption, foster collaboration, and promote best practices among local communities in countries where we don’t have much awareness. Ambassadors serve as advocates for DataCite’s mission and infrastructure and contribute to the advancement of open research practices.
How Ambassadors Can Support Their Communities
Our ambassadors serve as a crucial link between DataCite and local research communities. The ambassador role is a completely voluntary position and we really appreciate that our ambassadors are willing to dedicate some of their time and efforts to give back to the community. We will provide support to ambassadors through:
- Training and Resources: Dedicated onboarding and support, access to our training activities, outreach resources, and guides related to our services
- Networking Opportunities: Participate in regular catch-up calls, connecting with other ambassadors, DataCite staff, and the wider community for collaboration and knowledge-sharing
- Technical Assistance: Technical guidance and support for implementing DataCite services within their communities
- Visibility: Recognition as official DataCite ambassadors on our website and promotional materials
Here are some of the activities that ambassadors can lead:
- Help grow membership and adoption of DataCite infrastructure within their communities
- Running webinars on different DataCite services in regional languages
- Gathering and sharing feedback about specific needs, challenges, and requirements from stakeholders in a local community
- Conduct online/ in-person training workshops on DataCite infrastructure
- Contribute blog posts and content for our newsletter
- Engage with our online community and join in discussions on pid the PID Forum
- Participate in testing our products
- Support the translation of DataCite resources
Become an Ambassador
Applications are open for individuals that belong to organizations within the DataCite community (member and non-member organizations). Applicants should be based in or originally come from Africa, Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East. Also, each ambassador should serve for a period of 2 years which is renewable.
The post Bridging Gaps, Empowering Communities: DataCite’s Ambassador Program appeared first on DataCite.